Tiramisu Recipe – An Italian Treat
With Easter fast approaching we thought we would share a favourite recipe of ours. It comes courtesy of former Masterchef contestant, creator of Kitchens Without Boundaries and fan of Segafredo coffee, Vanessa Baxter. Vanessa’s Tiramisu recipe is an Italian treat that she says “It’s what I want to eat on my birthday” and it includes two double espresso shots of Extra Strong coffee.
- 5 fresh organic eggs
- 5 Tbs sugar
- 400g marscapone
- 2 cups of Extra Strong coffee (Vanessa runs 2 double espressos through her machine to make this)
- ¾ cup of your favourite alcohol (Frangelico or Marsala work well)
- 30 Savoiardi Biscuits
- Cocoa (for dusting)
- In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites in a clean dry bowl for around 2 minutes on a high speed. You want them white and fluffy and stiff enough that they stay in the bowl if you turn it upside down!
- Remove the whites to another clean bowl. Now using the stand mixer again, whisk the egg yolks and sugar on a medium speed until they are pale and have doubles in size – around 3-4 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the marscapone. Gradually increase the speed of the beaters until you reach medium/high and continue to whisk 1 minute until the ingredients are smooth and combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Remove your bowl from your mixer and using a metal spoon, carefully fold the egg whites through the marscapone mixture.
- Make your coffee by using a coffee machine, or espresso jug or plunger. You want the coffee nice and strong. Pour into a shallow soup bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Then add in your alcohol.
- Meantime, take a large rectangular dish. Add 4 Tbs marscapone cream to the bottom of the dish and use a spatula to smooth the cream over the base of the dish.
- Dunk the biscuits into the coffee mix, 2 at a time for several seconds. Allow them to soak up the liquid and then hold them to drip dry over the bowl before transferring them to your tiramisu dish.
- Create a layer of biscuits on top of your marscapone layer.
- Add more dollops of marscapone on to the top of the biscuit layer and again gently smooth over using your spatula.
- Repeat with another layer of coffee soaked biscuits and finish with a layer of your marscapone cream.
- Top with a dusting of cocoa and put in the fridge for several hours or overnight so that the flavours amalgamate
And there you have it. Delicious Italian Tiramisu to be enjoyed with friends and family over a nice cup of coffee this Easter. Fancy learning more of Vanessa’s recipes? Check them out here. She also has a fabulous ebook available, Kids Can Cook which is available through her website.
Need coffee for your Tiramisu? Get $10 off your next online order of coffee beans when you use the coupon code “Tiramisu.” This offer applies to 1kg bags of coffee beans only.
Let us know how you enjoyed your Tiramisu in the comments below.